Thursday, October 22, 2009

Coming Home to Easy Pumpkin Scones!

It's a cloudy, drizzly day in Vancouver today and I was trying to figure out what I could make that was sweet and delicious for the kids when they get home. My mom worked when I was in school and most days I came home to chores and "Chips Ahoy"cookies, except for when my Auntie Ann came to look after us kids when my parents were away. I remember coming home on those rainy days and walking into the house where she had been baking cinnamon buns, I seriously thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I remember thinking this is why mom's shouldn't work. So since I have just given up my position and I'm now home way more often I am making it a point to bake for my kids on a regular basis. I do have to say I have been hearing a lot of "mom, your the best" lately! I'm sure the novelty will wear off but for now it's nice to hear.

Today I took a box of Trader Joe's Pumpkin Pancake and Waffle mix and adapted it to make some easy pumpkin scones. Here is how they turned out.




Here is the recipe if you are interested!

3 cups Trader Joe's Pumpkin Pancake Mix
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, chilled and cut into pieces
1/2 cup heavy cream (I used buttermilk and milk mixed)
1 egg, slightly beaten

Preheat oven to 400°F. In medium bowl, stir together Pancake Mix, flour and sugar. Cut in butter with fork or pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Add cream and egg; stir until dough forms, (I needed to add a little extra drizzle of milk at this stage because it seemed a bit dry). Plop a good sized spoonful of dough onto a parchment covered or lightly greased baking sheet for a rustic looking scone. Sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired. or drizzle with icing sugar glaze when done. Bake 16-18 minutes or until lightly browned.
Makes 10 scones.


Gotta love comfort food on a drizzly Westcoast day!

3 comments:

  1. Those look SO good.
    Andrea made something similar last weekend but in cookie form and they were so soft and so delicious. The best part was, she showed up at my work as a surprise and gave them out! I think what makes those things better--fresh baking after school included--is that they always come when you least expect them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Catherine, love this blog- thanks for following mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. These look fantastic! Hope you're having a wonderful weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails