Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Special Handmade Gift for Meg


We are a lucky family!
Why?
When the cousin my husband didn't know he had came looking for his biological family
the story had an extremely happy ending.
Not only did my husband get his very first cousin, but we also acquired his mom Meg,
the gracious lady who not only adopted him, raised him, and then later helped him find his missing links.
They are both every bit a part of this family as anyone else,
and have been for twenty years now.
We don't usually give handmade gifts at Christmas,
but Meg is someone who you just don't head to the mall for.
She appreciates the time and thought of handmade gifts,
and anything that won't damage the planet.
Meg has been a reduce, reuse, and recycler for as long as I can remember.
I believe she is a pioneer of sorts.

While the rest of the family heads to the mall to shop for our gifts, Meg brings a big box labeled "Meg's Book Box" filled with books that she has collected from garage sales through out the year. She carefully chooses books with each of our interests in mind, and then gives us a handmade Christmas card that says,
"Please pick out a book from my pre-loved book box."
A highlight every year!


So my daughter and I went to work and made these little reusable produce bags.
They are made from old linen pieces I had hanging around,
some string and a little fabric paint.
My nine year old did the stenciling
and I did the sewing.
Hopefully Meg thinks these are as sweet as we intended them to be
and if nothing else appeciates the thought that went into them.

I'm linking up to Cindy's party come join the fun!


cottageinstincts.blogspot.com.jpg

9 comments:

  1. I love these bags, Catherine, and Meg sounds amazing. My favorite people to dream up gifts for are those who are creative and caring. They always make everyone around them discover their own creativity, plus they always appreciate gifts from the heart.

    Happy New Year to you and yours! xoxo Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bags! What a sweet idea - both yours and Meg's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - thanks for stopping by my blog! I love your work. I am an avid sewer/knitter/painter/ etc you name it! Nice to meet another neighbour! I answered the paint question after your comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg sounds like a real gem. What you made for her is precious and surely will be appreciated!
    Living it up at Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea and Meg sounds like a real gem! I snuck down a bit and loved the idea for hanging stockings - with the window rod and clips - too cute.

    I have an ETSY shop and sell vinyl products - I use a cricut machine to cut out the vinyl and apply it to a ton of surfaces - my wall being one of them. You just have to buy the vinyl, the transfer tape and know how to do it. Its not hard at all, I just have been intrigued with vinyl since I ordered some address numbers about a year ago!
    Hope that made sense -

    Thanks for stopping in -

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful!
    Thankyou for sharing them! Inspirational! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply pretty and practical too! Such a unique gift. I agree, Meg does sound like a kind soul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness I love them. They are adorable. I'm horrible about remembering to bring my bags with me to the grocery store so in reality these would never get used by me, but I want them. So, so cute it makes me almost want to buy a carrot and stick it in the roots bag!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are fabulous! I am adding these to my to-go. They turn out amazing - great job.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails